About Patrickswell, County Limerick.

Patrickswell is a village in the Barony of Pubblebrien, County Limerick situated 6 miles from Limerick City on the N21 where theCrecora and Clarina roads intersect with the main road from Limerick to Cork and Kerry.Patrickswell village has a long history, with reported links dating back to St Patrick, to whom a well is dedicated in the village. First mention of a village at Patrickswell appear in the late 17th century and a workers village had been established by 1689 under the patronage of Thomas Rose, a major landlord in Ballyanrahan, who was Sherriff of Limerick in 1674. Fairs have traditionally been held in Patrickswell since 1807, on Feb 26th, May 28th, June 16th, Oct 14th & 20th and Dec  18th mainly for cattle and pigs. In recent years there has been a drive to renew this tradition and retain the fair licence by holding farmers markets at the old fairgreen area adjacent to Marian Park.

Patrickswell has a long sporting tradition and currently hold 18 senior county hurling titles and 2 Munster Club titles as well as numerous awards for underage and camogie. They also hold many Scor trophies for dancing, music and drama. The community is represented in soccer by St Patrick’s AFC. More recently Patrickswell native, Conor Murray represents Munster and Ireland as rugby scrum half.

In recent  years Patrickswell Tidy Towns Committee have done tremendous work in transforming the aesthetics of the village and its environs, a transformation that is obvious as one approaches the village from all directions.

Patrickswell is well serviced by trade and commerce and has one of the country’s leading horse racing venues at Greenmount. Located about 500 metres from the village and beside the M20/21 it is easily accessible from all routes. Visit Limerick Racecourse here. Theree is an abundance of retail premises including supermarkets, public houses, petrol stations, restaurants, butcher, betting office, hardware, hair/beauty salons, pharmacy, post office and several industrial units. The Church of the Blessed Virgin is located at Collopys Cross, a modern church opened in 1977. At the other end of the village is situated a Marian Shrine in a small park among beautiful flower beds.

 

Advertisements